Department: Information Technology
Reporting to the Manager of Information Services & Digital Initiatives, the Network Engineer has a wide range of responsibilities including the hands-on installation, management, troubleshooting and maintenance of the Cisco-based Ethernet and Wireless IP data networks. This includes the diagnosis and repair of problems at the physical and network layers in support of data communications as well as the physical installation and maintenance of LAN communication equipment (routers, switches, wireless access points); troubleshooting end user network connectivity issues (wiring, equipment, signal strength, channel interference, and client configurations) including end user support for DNS, DHCP and AD services, switching configuration and support, network registration services, VPN services support, Network Services documentation management, and Incident Management and Notification processes for I Tatti Network Services. Some off-hour work required as needed.
This is a full-time position, with an Italian long-term contract of indeterminate length (contratto a tempo indeterminato). Salary based on qualifications and experience. Qualified foreign applicants without EU work authorization will be considered for sponsorship.
Applicants should submit their résumé with a cover letter.
Applicants who do not meet the basic qualifications will not be considered.
- Perform complex analysis, design, development, testing, and debugging of the network environment
- Support for existing and future virtualization environments and associated systems including networked storage
- Maintain the security of all I Tatti systems such as firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems, data loss prevention tools, antivirus and antispam software
- Maintain VoIP and video systems on the Cisco Unified Communications platform
- Manage NAS/SAN drives, certificates, Windows servers, software deployment, and endpoint provisioning
- Evaluate network performance using hardware and software diagnostic tools
- Monitor and perform routine operations for Windows systems
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree required in Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in computer / network support arena with hands-on experience with OSI model layers one through three, switching technologies, network analysis, IEEE 802.3, 802.11x, 802.1q, TCP, IP, Cisco IOS, link aggregation, Spanning Tree, DNS, DHCP, OSPF, VPN, and customer relationship management
- Knowledge of Microsoft enterprise technologies including Active Directory.
- In-depth knowledge of Windows Operating Systems
- Working knowledge of VMware
- Must possess understanding of the physical building blocks of a network including copper and fiber cabling, patch panels, and possess general knowledge of network design to the concept level
- Demonstrated fluency in Italian and English, with excellent oral and technical writing skills
- Must be customer focused with strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of IT support personnel
- Master’s degree or higher in related field
- Valid CCNA certification
- Windows Server Administration 2008 R2/2012
- Experience establishing and maintaining network infrastructure with cloud service providers such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure or VMware vCloud
- Working knowledge of Cisco ISE, Cisco UC, and the Microsoft Office 365 platform highly desirable
I Tatti – The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies Since the first Fellows arrived in 1961, The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies has become the foremost research institution in the world for Italian Renaissance art, history, literature, and music. Harvard University inherited I Tatti and its estate outside Florence from the distinguished art historian Bernard Berenson, together with his vast collection of books, photographs, and works of art. Today, the Center offers fifteen full-year post-doctoral Fellowships annually, as well as several Visiting Fellowships for shorter periods. The most important goals of I Tatti are to advance our understanding of the Italian Renaissance, to encourage the fruitful interchange of ideas, and to create a relaxed atmosphere conducive to research and writing.
I Tatti is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer.