The Lila Wallace – Reader’s Digest Lecture Program provides grants to support seminars and conference sessions dedicated to any aspect of the Italian Renaissance, broadly understood historically to include the period from the 14th to the 17th century and geographically to include transnational dialogues between Italy and other cultures.
- Grants are intended to encourage the presence of the Renaissance at sites where it is less visible.
- Preference will be given to events that present an innovative approach to the Italian Renaissance, ask new questions, or explore new facets of the period. Preference will also be given to a session related to the Italian Renaissance that is held at a discipline-specific annual conference, e.g. one devoted to the history of art, architecture, history, literature, music, or science.
- All Harvard-appointed Fellows (full year and short term, including graduate fellows) are eligible to apply for this competitive grant. Applicants must be a participant in or organizer of the proposed event. Applications can be made after the fellowship period begins, and within one year after the fellowship period ends. The sponsored event must take place within 12 months after the fellowship period is completed, and cannot take place while the applicant is still a Fellow. (In other words, the relevant deadlines will be June 1, 2017, 1 Nov. 2017 and 1 June 2018; the event itself must take place between 1 July 2017— July 2018.) Fellows can submit only one application, for one event.
- The maximum grant is a $3000 per event. Funds can only be used for transportation, room, board, and conference dues (if applicable) for organizers, presenters, and discussants at the event. The grant will disbursed in the form of reimbursements, after the event. This grant cannot be combined with other funding provided by I Tatti. Please note that this grant must be disbursed to the individual who made the application.
- Fellows must send the Director a short proposal of the projected event, including a) full name, b) Fellowship name starting date, and ending date c) date of proposed event, d) location of proposed event, e) abstract of proposed event, f) estimated cost, g) names of participants. Please send to this address: email@example.com.
- Fellows must ensure that “the Lila Wallace – Reader’s Digest Endowment Fund at Villa I Tatti” is clearly indicated in any publicity associated with the event.
- A concise report (ca. 300 words) about the event, together with a copy of the program, and receipts for reimbursement, must be submitted to Amanda Smith [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- The deadlines are November 1 and June 1 each year.